Wednesday 4 July 2007

What I'm up to...

Many of you may be wondering what I'm up to and have been up to over the last few years of my life, so I thought I would give you a quick run down of my life since I was about 18...
Don't worry, it won't take that long..., or at least I will do this in installments, so you should not get bored!

After leaving school....
After leaving school, I went on to do a secretarial course in Harare, Zimbabwe. After about 8 months I was bored and had done most of the exams so I dropped out of the course and went to work in a travel agency. Found I did not like that much, so moved onto another job... and to cut a long story short, kept moving jobs for the next few years.
At the beginning of 1993 I left my last permanent job in Harare, and was doing some temporary work, as well as being very involved in my local church. In June/July of 1993 there was a missions conference down in Cape Town, South Africa run by Operation Mobilisation (OM), which I attended.
I had never thought of going into missions before, but that conference changed my view of missions and my life forever....
On the way back from the conference and sometime in Mozambique, we had a car accident where I broke my pelvis and right collar bone - so out of action for a while! It did not stop me for long though, and I am grateful for the healing of both my pelvis and collar bone.
At this stage, I felt that I wanted to go and work with OM on one of their ship's the MV Doulos, but it took another couple of years before I actually joined OM.

Joining OM...
On 1 May 1995 my opportunity came to join OM. I was invited to join the team working in South Africa and be the secretary to the National Director of the work there. In OM we call them Field Leaders. So, I went down to Pretoria to work with Peter Tarantal, helping him and serving him in any way possible, so that he could do his job of leading the work of OM South Africa. I had 3 and a half great years of working with Peter.

At the beginning of 1998, I told Peter that he should start looking for a new PA, as by the end of that year I wanted to move onto a new challenge. In the middle of the year, I was in contact with a good friend of Peter's, Mr Viv Thomas who was working with OM in London. Viv was looking for a PA, and the idea of heading to the UK seemed good. Little did I know that the MV Doulos was going to be in South Africa and when I went to visit, I was challenged to join the ship. As you may remember... back in 1993 I wanted to join the Doulos!

So, after some negotiations, it was all sorted out for me to join the Doulos in January 1999. Sorry Viv, I'm not coming to the UK!

Read about the next step of my life next time....


No comments: