Wednesday 4 July 2007

Enter Mr Peter Maiden....

Now Mr Peter Maiden at that stage was the Associate International Director of OM, and was due to take over the leadership of OM from George Verwer, who founded the organisation in 1957. There was a big celebration planned for August 2003 to commemorate the handover and someone needed to organise it!

Well, Mr Maiden got to hear that I needed a new challenge, and the rest is history.... In March 2002, I moved up to Carlisle, UK (near the Scottish border) and started the preparations for the General Council conference in August the following year. It was 17 months of hard work, but all worth it in the end. I realised that even though I did not enjoy my Line Up experiences, I had learnt so much during those that held me in good stead for organising this conference.

It was held in Keswick, about 40 minutes from Carlisle, in the beautiful Lake District. We booked over 90 Bed & Breakfast houses, 32 self-catering apartments and 5 hotels for our 1700 guests that were going to turn up at the conference! Yes, lots of negotiation, as well as all the transport and food arrangements that needed to be made. I had a great team of people working with me, and although there were a few minor hitches with the transport at the end - due to the trains not running on our departure day as they were scheduled to do - it was a great success, and a fruitful time was had by all who took part.

And so to the next chapter....

No comments: