Wednesday 4 July 2007

Doulos Days....

In January 1999 I flew off to Perth, Australia to join the MV Doulos. During the next 15 months, I worked in many different departments onboard the ship, as well as going ahead of the ship to two ports to help with the 'advanced preparations'.

Onboard, I worked in the Book Shop, the Accommodation department, taking Tours around the ship, and 'Pantry' which is mainly making the dining room ready for meal times and then tidying up after each meal etc. I also was asked to co-ordinate a Short Term Exposure Programme (STEP) where a group of people come to the ship for about 8 weeks and have exposure to our ministry. Once that STEP was over, I then went off on my first 'Line Up' (advanced preparations).

A small team of us headed off to a little island called Manus, in Papua New Guinea. The ship arrived two and a half weeks later into port. We had organised many progammes and events for the local people to come onboard and see, as well as for crew from the Doulos, to go to churches and schools and other local places to interact with the people of Manus. It was a great visit.

Shortly after leaving Manus, I was then sent to Subic Bay in the Philippines to do my second Line Up, and on 6 January 2000, the ship arrived there.

Both my Line Up experiences were rather challenging, and I realised that doing that sort of thing is not where I thrive and excel. So, it was agreed by all concerned that I would not do any more Line Ups. I spent the rest of my time on Doulos in the Deck department, painting, scrapping, needle-gunning the decks! What fun!

1 comment:

BG said...

Deck? wow, good on ya!